This sign's content seems to relay how I've felt since returning from my adventure in Guatemala. Actually, this is how I've felt for months now to be quite honest. There never seems to be quite enough minutes in an hour or hours in a day to fully accomplish things. Yes, I may complete things, but completing them doesn't necessarily mean that I am finished with them. Since returning from Guatemala, my life has done anything but allow me to stop and reflect. To sit and stare off into the clouds and process that which I saw, felt, and experienced. I have desperately tried to make time to do such activities, but I feel as if I've failed miserably. The brief moments that I've taken to update this blog and a few conversations with other service participants are the extent to which I've been able to reflect on my experiences. I know that many people may never feel the need to process vacations, trips, or service experiences, but for me, an academic at heart, this is one of the only ways I know how to survive. Connecting theoretical dots and expanding perspectives and paradigms is what keeps me intrigued by the world. It's never just a "walk in the park." That walk in the park is always an observation, a critique, an examination of the world around me. It's something that I've always loved, but I now have the resources and tools to begin to analyze that which surrounds me. Anyway, the point of this introduction is to say that I need to do a better job of providing myself with adequate time to nourish my creative, theoretical, mind-enriching side. . . While my mental state has been somewhat stalled; my physical life has moved forward quite immensely.For starters, I got a new job. I say "a" new job because it is one of many jobs that I have currently committed myself to. How many jobs you ask?... well, let me tell you...
Job A. Updating University Websites.
- This involves transferring everything from one web page over to another newer model that is consistent with the rest of our University. It's tons of fun... let me tell you!
- This, I am VERY excited for. I will be working with SEIU's (service employees international union) Change that Works Campaign. Basically, our charge is to achieve comprehensive health care for all Americans as well as revamp the current worker's union system to allow for better worker's rights. I am really eager to get under way with this and get a move on some progressive change! I am also VERY excited that with this job, comes FULL benefits. This may not sound that great to you... but because I've been uninsured since we got married 5 years ago... I am VERY eager to go to the dentist :)
- My Advisor, Dr. Christina Weber, and I are writing a research paper based on the service trip in Guatemala. We are analyzing student journals and using critical consciousness models to better understand their learning process.
- It's that time.... THESIS! I'm actually really excited about this. It's been a long time in the making, but I am finally embarking on my thesis for my Master's. I have a general topic area and am working to establish a foundation for moving this all along!
- This one technically is only during the academic year, but due to the Change that Works Campaign running a bit into August, I am trying to get some of the hours and responsibilities taken care of and started prior to that time. So, this is more conceptual, organizing and planning that is taking place.
- My BFF Erienne's transcriber fell through.... so, I am going to make a bit of extra bank and rock the transcribing!
No comments:
Post a Comment