One of the hardest things about traveling for me is the last part; coming home. The reason for this is because even as I sit here trying my best to articulate my experiences, I succumb to the overwhelming notion that I simply can not portray the emotions that I felt in the limited and finite vocabulary that I have been provided. I become silenced by my own desire to speak and the realization that there is no way that what I felt, what I heard, what I did can ever be conveyed in mere language.
One of the things that I ground into my students is that they HAVE to learn how to talk about this experience. That it can't be an adventure that they just put up on the shelf with all their other vacations and trinkets from around the world. This experience is much more and therefore we are obligated to talk about the things that we witnessed/felt/did. The problem with this, is that it's incredibly difficult to talk about the feelings we had while there.
This is where I allow my patience to wear thin with myself. It's a test.... and one that I feel that I am currently failing miserably at. In the next four days, I am going to do my best to TRY to articulate how the wheels in my head were turning while serving in Guatemala.
1 comment:
I sympathize with you. Usually that is me, but right now I'm having the opposite problem. It's flooding in to the point that I can't concentrate on the work I need to do.... So I'm trying to just let it come out. But it comes in HUGE waves.
Post a Comment